Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Wishin' You Were Fishin'
By Stuart Freese
Quite a few of us can still remember seeing the "Gone Fishing" sign on the barbershop door in Norman Rockwell paintings or on the Andy Griffith Show. We've possibly even seen custom license plates in our area with "LV2FSH" or "FSHN PRO," or something along those lines. And I'm sure we've all encountered the T-shirts and bumper-stickers that say, "A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work." Or how about the sign that reads, "I'd rather be lost on the lake than found in town."?

What's the point of all these messages about fishing? Is life so dull, or business that unimportant, or work that intolerable, or being inside city limits so distressing that folks are turning to angling as a last resort or using a fishing pole as a crutch to endure the miseries of life? Actually, the answer is simpler and far less dire than all of that. The fact is, fishing is just plain a whole lot of fun!

A wise individual once said, "Fishing is its own reward." I wish I'd have thought that one up, but just having the privilege of hearing and learning it has been benefit enough. You see, I've come to learn that there's no such thing as a bad time fishing, as long as you get the opportunity to actually fish. When I was young and impatient, I figured anything less than a cooler full of bluegill out of the farm pond was a complete disappointment and a waste of time. But the day came when my brother and I pulled a twenty-pound catfish out of that pond, and my whole attitude toward fishing suddenly changed.
That day I learned that the fun of fishing doesn't entirely depend on how many fish a person can catch, or even the size of the fish. The fun is in fishing itself-throwing a ridiculously small hook into a relatively big expanse of water, and never quite knowing what might get hooked. It's that element of adventure and surprise, the unknown if you will, the possibility that darn near anything could happen, that compels a person to keep throwing a line out again and again.

Now, don't get me wrong-I still want to catch a lot of fish, and a lot of specimens as large as they can come. And I for sure want to be able to say, "At least we didn't get skunked." But whether I do get skunked or I'm hauling in fish in biblical proportion-and I've been in both scenarios-I still believe that a day spent fishing is a day well spent. While nothing can quite compare to thrill of pulling that glistening creature out of its deep, dark abode and into your possession, the catch is really just icing on the cake. The actual cake itself is the pursuit, simply being able to get out there and to do something that somehow makes the world right again. It may sound primitive, but I believe there's a natural yearning within every human being to compete against nature and win.

You have your own reasons for fishing, and I respect them even if they don't exactly match mine. The main thing is to make time to get out to the water and drown a line or two. And if you're needing any fishing-related equipment or supplies, we invite you to take a look at what we can do to make your next fishing outing a reality. We have something for nearly every type of fishing, so let us help you make some memories. Good luck to you!       http://www.thehuntfishcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment